For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Friday, September 30, 2011

The end of the Gardening Season (sort of)

This year my sweet Honeybuns built me three 4x4 raised bed garden boxes:


 I was so friggin' excited!! I had wanted a garden for 10 years - 10 whole years! - and finally got one!

I got the book All New Square Foot Gardening and also did some online research.  Then I got to work:



I created my grids and then decided what to plant where and what to plant next to what for the best results.  I would have loved to plant from seed - and I definitely intend to do so next year - but this year it was too late in the season for that.

I had intended to put little pebbles around the stones/walkways - oh well...maybe next year!

About the time for putting little plants into the ground, the grandkids came to visit for a bit before moving to the west coast, so I let them help pick out the veggies and we planted them together:


And then...magic happened!


Little sprouts from radish seeds and carrots peeked through the ground


The plants that the grandkids helped to plant took well:

  




...and it grew and it grew!




And it just kept on growing, much to my delight and amazement!




In time we had delicious delights from the garden on a daily basis (I wish I had more pictures!)








Today, I picked what is probably the last of the veggies - everything is slowing down and we are suppose to get some chilly temps the next few days.  I may go out and grab a few of the larger green tomatoes for fried green tomatoes and also to see if they will ripen a bit on my windowsill:

It is a little sad to think that it is all over, but for some arugula and lettuces that will hang on a little longer.

However, a glass of wine seemed to fix that as I sat on the deck and watched the afternoon clouds roll in, listened to the geese passing overhead to the pond across the street and daydreamed about all the seed catalogs I have ordered to look at over the winter, dreaming of my garden in spring!

Keep it Joyful,

DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!