For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Art Journal Play and Halloween Fun!

I am not usually one to work in art journals.  I write a lot - I use little composition books that I buy at the dollar store and usually have filled up in a month.  I've been writing in journals since I was 11 years old.  

I have bound art sketchbooks that I doodle in, sketch in, doodle ideas in:




- but I've only ever made one "art journal" that spans several months.  It just isn't something I seem wired to do.  Here is one of my favorite little paintings from that art journal (from way back in 2007):
Do you keep an art journal?

In an attempt to do what other artist's do (teehee) I sketched this in my newly-made, hand-bound (by me) journal:
And then I ripped it out of the journal and added some watercolor to it:
I sometimes wish I was the kind of artist who kept lovely art journals filled with beautiful pictures/drawings/writings, etc.

But I'm not. =)  I am ok with that.

When I was a young girl (around 9, 10, 11, 12) I used to collect spiral notebooks.  In them I would draw what I called "picture stories".  I would turn the book landscape style and draw 6 blocks and then begin drawing a story - sort of like a comic.  My two youngest children did this, as well, without me ever telling them about this technique...maybe it is hardwired into us.

My bff and I each had these spiral notebooks.  We would create a picture story, then trade books, read the stories and then write a new one in the book.  By the time the books were filled, they had picture stories from both of us in each book.  What a treasure those were!!

Oh...that was just one of the many, many magical things we did together, A.M. and I!  We had the same teachers in 5th and 6th grade and we used to get into so much trouble for passing notes and notebooks during class and talking too much.  However, the teachers of both classes never separated us, which looking back on I find strange, but delightful!  Maybe they were pretty cool teachers after all!

I just recently did 10 illustrations for someone for a storybook.  When I was finished with all the paintings, I realized with a jolt that the figures were drawn/painted in the exact same way as my picture stories from childhood!  All that time they were hiding inside me!

Here are a few of them:




I so wish I still had some of those notebooks - I had so many of them.  We moved to Italy and then back again and I lost them all in the moves.  So sad!

I also wanted to share that I am going to participate in Vanessa's (from A Fanciful Twist) Halloween Party this year! Yay!!  I haven't done something like this in SO long and I am so looking forward to it - I'm already creating special things just for the party!  Vanessa is just the neatest, sweetest person and she sooo inspires me!  Click on the picture below to read more about it:
I hope you can make it - it is going to be lots of spooky fun!
Keep it Joyful, DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!