For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Halloween Party!!!

 Welcome! Welcome! Welcome to the Halloween Blog Party hosted by Vanessa at A Fanciful Twist!  I have been so excited about this and working all month to put my part of this together ~ (Note~if you "poke" the pictures you will be able to see more details)

I truly hope you enjoy it!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

A Tiny Tale of the Halloween Soiree at Mouserly Manor
 by Donna Patrice

I entered my Exploratorium to begin mixing a batch of new spells from my new spell book: 
A Compendium of Old Spells for the Modern Witch, which, by the way, is rare and I was totally excited to find it tucked away on a dusty back shelf at Black Forest Books at a bargain price!
As I was pulling down ingredients to mix up some potions,
 
I noticed that Crow had brought in the mail.  In the bowl were several invitations to various upcoming Witchy events.  I looked quickly through the many party invitations (and the love poem sent by an anonymous admirer, which I tucked away inside my new book of spells).  There were several witchy celebrations to choose from this year.
As I was setting them aside, a bit of paper fluttered out of the stack and caught my eye.  
It was so tiny that I needed my magnifier to read it:
"You are cordially invited to attend the First Annual Halloween Mouse Soiree, October 22, 2011 at the Witching Hour.  Please come dressed to play.  Follow directions on vial.  Transportation will be provided." 
Why, that was today, I thought to myself!
Bemused, I lifted the tiny vial and noticed a tiny label attached which read:
"Close your eyes and swallow in one sip"
I removed the tiny cork and shrugging, raised the vial to my lips.  I closed my eyes and let the tiny droplet touch my tongue.  For a moment, I felt nothing.  Quite suddenly, I began to feel as if I was falling – you know that tickle in your tummy when you go fast over a hill in your car – it was that kind of feeling.
I opened my eyes and saw nothing but a cloud of black.
What in the world was going on??
Looking up, I saw that my world had grown quite huge – or I had become quite small!
Looking down, I saw that I was dressed in my best witchy party dress.

Crow alighted next to me and I realized what had happened.  He laughed his crowy laugh and I laughed with him, delighted, “You knew all about this, didn’t you my friend?”  His eyes twinkled at me and he indicated with a nod of his head that I should climb upon his back – my “provided transportation”.
I did so, and off we went.
By the light of the Hunter’s Moon and a swirl of stars,

we arrived at a place I had only heard about in recent weeks.  As Crow banked, I could see lights and figures moving about below us.
We landed next to a miniature graveyard guarded by a ghost tree.
As I slipped from Crow’s back, I heard little giggles.  I turned to see myself surrounded by four little creatures: a ladybug, a bumblebee, another little witch and a miniature Red Riding Hood.
They all began speaking at once.
“Welcome!”
“So glad you made it to our Halloween Mouse Soiree!”
“What a lovely party dress!”
“You must meet Baxter!”
“Thank you, Crow, for bringing her to us!”

“Where is here?” I asked.

“Why, the grounds of the Old Mouserly Manor.” The ladybug said sweetly.
They ushered me towards a table laden with tiny cookies: zombie and moon cookies I was told by the little witch, baked by her very self.   
As we settled ourselves around the table, I asked how they knew Crow.

“Oh, the Crows and Mouserly’s go way back,” chirped Red, “We’ve known all about you for some time now and know that you are a friend to mice and other little creatures.”

I was offered a tiny cup of mulled apple cider, which I accepted along with a plate of cookies.
Suddenly, a coffin swung open and I screeched, almost dropping my plate.  Bumblebee rescued it from me and everyone laughed.
Red introduced me to the Vampire, Baxter.

Once my heart slowed to a more regular rhythm, we finally sat down to cookies and mulled cider.

The sweet group of little mice shared with me that they had just recently reacquired the land and old Mouserly Manor.  It had been in their family for generations 
(I discovered the little group was all related in one form or another) and it had been mistakenly sold off by the 13th cousin of the 13th cousin.  The 758 direct descendants of Thaddius (Tad) Teezle Mouserly and the 923 various cousins, aunts and uncles put their savings together and repurchased the land and house.  Several of the Original Inhabitants of Mouserly Manor were actually buried in the family graveyard – if I cared to go and take a look.

I graciously declined for the moment, wondering where all the others might be buried, but too polite to ask.

“What do you intend to do with the old place?” I asked.

Baxter spoke up, “We intend to rebuild.”

Bumblebee said, “Actually, we intend to BUILD.  You see, we will leave the old manor house as it is, but build us all a new manor on the land.”

“ For all 1,681 of you?” I asked.

“Possibly…”Baxter said.


“Quite ambitious,” I said.

“Enough talk of manors and family history,” Ladybug squealed, “let’s play some games!”

And so we did.  We played Hang Man, told one another’s fortunes by tossing bleached sticks, several rounds of Candy Corn Catch, some Pumpkin Bowling (at which I discovered I excel) 
and finally we bobbed for apples.



Next, there was dancing to the music of the Cricketoad Gang by the light of the moon.

We danced
And we danced
And we danced!

Needing a rest, I was given a tour of the tiny graveyard 

and allowed to peek in the windows of the old manor.

After more cookies, we sat around the fire, drinking mulled cider again to warm up.  Baxter and Red told us some creepy ghost stories, as well as some old family tales.

I was completely enchanted.

Before I knew it, the moon was setting and it was time for our soiree to come to an end.  We all said our good-byes, promising between hugs and yawns to visit with one another again very soon and I wished them best of luck on the plans for the new Mouserly Manor.

“Oh!  I almost forgot,” Red took a small vial out of her basket and handed it to me, “When you arrive home, close your eyes and swallow every drop.”

I took the vial, thanked her and climbed sleepily onto Crow’s back.   
I waved to my new friends until I could no longer see them...
 or the old Mouserly Manor.
Then, I drifted off to sleep.
Crow nudged me and I found myself back in my GIGANTIC Exploratorium.  He tapped the vial with his beak and then flew upwards, disappearing above me, beyond the edge of my worktable.  I removed the cork from the vial, closed my eyes and swallowed every last drop.

Again, I had that falling feeling, only it was a rushing feeling now – as if I was moving very quickly towards something I could not see.

I opened my eyes and everything was back to the size it should be.

I thought perhaps I had dreamed – or cast a spell upon myself from my new spell book without knowing it, but then I looked at what I was holding in my hand.
I was reminded of the delightful time I spent with my new friends at the Old Mouserly Manor.

How glad I was that I had gone to their First Annual Halloween Mouse Soiree!

I yawned an enormous yawn, told Crow and Owl goodnight, and headed off to my cozy bed to sleep off the cookies and mulled cider, hoping that I would receive an invitation to the Mouserly’s Second Annual Halloween Mouse Soiree next year!

Happy Halloweenie, everyone!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Thank you for stopping by – I hope you enjoyed your visit and will come again!  Please check out Vanessa’s blog to see all the other Halloween Blog Party participants!  Enjoy!

Keep it Joyful, Donna

46 comments:

  1. Wow, Donna -- what a truly enchanting Halloween party post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that was so enchanting in every magical little bit! What an effort you went to - a truly fabulous post to engage your audience. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job babe - loved the story and the picture sequences-very well done. This project shows the wonderfully creative side of you. You are in your true element when doing projects like this. Again, VERY WELL DONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with your witches, with the ghosts, with the miniature graveyard (I'll attempt to make one, it won't be 1/13 as magnificent as yours, but I'll try).

    Happy Fanciful All Hallow's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol what a delightful little tale, I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you so much for sharing.

    http://phoenixra.blogspot.com/2011/10/wonderings-on-halloween-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh
    oh
    thank you ever~so for inviting me
    to your festivities!

    your Zombie & moon cookies
    were the best i have ever Eaten!
    truly!

    i must get the recipe
    so Cook can whip
    up
    a batch!

    now...
    do pop in my Party
    and meet My Charming Pet
    if
    you have the time!

    {{ our Party normally lasts
    for days & days & days... }}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute photos and story!!
    I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a wondrous time at your party. I loved all of your photos and alters, you did a great job. Thank you for sharing it all with me. Please visit me:
    momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo what spooky fun; so charming and whimsical. Have a happy party weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun little story. I hope you have more fun trips to the Old Mousery Manor. And I want to fly on the back of a crow.

    Happy Halloween!
    http://kellysalteredart.blogspot.com/2011/10/ghost-adventures-wannabes-halloween.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute story and great pictures too!
    Happy Halloween!
    Here is my post:

    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-carving-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Following your blog! Follow me back!!

    XO
    Isabelle

    http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-carving-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What a wonderful journey you had! That same crow visited with me at my festivites!!

    Have a lovely Halloween!!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely tale and Halloween party! What a magical journey you've had :) Thank you for stopping by my party and leaving such a kind comment!

    http://castlesandcarriages.blogspot.com/2011/10/welcome-guests-from-fanciful-twist.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Thank you very much for this enchanting halloween post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you have been a busy bee! Great job on all of the details. I had a wonderful visit.

    When you get back on your broomstick swing by my blog - I'm serving brain tonic and three witches brew. Mildred the spider will give you a ride to the river where you can pick up a boat that will take you on one magical adventure.

    Have fun visiting all of the parties today.

    http://collagediva.typepad.com/collagediva/2011/10/fairy-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful Halloween adventure and party. How I'd love to ride on Crow's back one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has been such a fun, frolicky Halloween party! You have an amazing imagination and talent for telling stories. I am so very happy I stopped by!!

    Feel free to stop by my place where there is a late night...adventure...going on at the cemetery. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I loved this story. Your attention to detail is most excellent.

    I can't wait until next year's party. Already looking to all the dancing. But I'll need a ride. Do you think Crow can pick me up? :)

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute story and the pictures are great, thank you for sharing your creativity! If you are not to busy, please jump on your broomstick and come visit me.
    Grayce
    http://graycefuldawn.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOWZA!!!!! THIS IS SOOOO MAGICAL! I love it! It's so perfectly my taste in decorations hee hee, a woman after my own heart :) I love the book at the beginning, just like the aunts' book in practical magic! SPLENDID!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed this tale so much! You are quite the yarn spinner :P

    ....and as wonderful and enchanting as I found this post to be...it was the comment from your Hubby I found to be the most breathtaking of all!
    Lucky Girl....no wonder you can live such a joyful life....having a man who helps make your dreams come true!

    Happiest Halloween to you, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a grand party indeed .. so fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Donna...that was simply magical and the sweetest story so far! What an incredible ammount of creativity and talent went into that post! Thanks so much for sharing your wee world with us and also for stopping by at my party earlier and leaving your kind comment. Brightest blessings for a truly magical Halloween...you brightened mine and brought quite a smile to my face! bertie
    www.awildberrywitch.blogspot.com
    p.s. have you ever considered making that story and your creations into a children's book? I think it would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a sweet... er, I mean.... spooky story! :)
    I think Mouserly Manor is an enchanting place. Thank you for allowing me to tag along.

    For more spooktacular fun, visit my party:
    Paris, circa 1789
    http://inthelandofspice.com/2011/10/22/halloween-party-bloghop/

    ReplyDelete
  26. eeek what a fab party :)
    why not hop over for a spooky tale at my place :
    http://madame-mels.blogspot.com/2011/10/tale-of-curiosity.html
    the more the merrier :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a darling and enchantingly little party!

    Happy Halloween

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mouserly manor completely stole my heart away, I want to move in!!!!

    Your have outdone yourself!

    I loooove your spells area, and your magic book! Wondrous!

    The entire visit was beyond wonderful, thank you!!!!

    ♥ Vanessa {A Fanciful Twist}

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderfully enchanting evening! thanks for a great time!
    BB,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful story! I love your book of spells! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh what a wonderful post!!!! Such SWEET and CUTE little mice!!!! You wrote such a terrifically inventive Halloween tale! Thanks, too, for visiting with me. Enjoy all the festivities! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a lovely story. Please come by my Halloween party too. Did you make the wonderful mice. I really love them and the doll too. Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely party and wonderful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a darling little post!! I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Mouserly Manor and all your tiny friends. Whoever said mice had no manners certainly didn't know what they were talking about. Please don't tell the others but Bumblebee was my favorite.
    Thank you for taking us on the most delightful journey.

    xoxo Cori

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Donna,

    Thank you for posting on my blog. I was delighted to hear from you.

    Next year's party is going to be so much fun! What am I going to wear? Just to play it safe, I think I'll start shopping for an outfit now. ;)

    By the way, I'm only 4'10 1/2 so I don't have much shrinking to do. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What fun and imagination! Great photos to depict the story. I really like the worms-eye view shot when you shrank! lol~ Hope you can stop by for treats and tea.
    Happy Halloween~



    http://poetryinapotoftea.blogspot.com/2011/10/happy-haunting-halloween-tea.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a delightful post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How wonderful - I adore miniatures and this was just delightful. Hope you can stop by my enchanted oven for party sweets.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  39. SPOOKTACULAR HALLOWEEN FUN!
    Enchanting Decor & Tale.

    Nice to read your hubby's comment. Please tell me what spell you used on him as I would love to use it on my hubby. Once in a very Blue Moon I receive a sweet comment from my groom ~ LOL...

    Please fly by my party when you can...
    Hauntingly Yours, Lyndy >^..^<

    Princess Diana's Wedding Ring Giveaway & Halloween Party:
    http://todaysgold.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. How wonderfully creative!!! I loved the tiny party!!! The tiny potion bottle was precious!

    ReplyDelete
  41. i have to say, one of my favorite parties!! so much fun! i love the mice!!!
    thanks for having me
    Happy Halloween
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  42. What an Absolutely fantastical Party at the Mouserly Manor. Those little friends know how to throw one heck of a party. I loved all the games and meeting all the family members. Oh that Baxter scared me as well. Whew!!!
    Thank you for inviting me and letting me catch a ride on Mr Crow.
    Please stop by My Mad Halloween Tea Party for a cup or two of Tea....We would love to have you..
    Spells and Wishes
    Wendy from Wonderland
    http://candydelane.typepad.com/curiosities

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a delightful post, I'm so glad I didn't miss it! Sincerest apologies for my delay in thanking you kindly for dropping by my Halloween Party post! The skeletons have had dreadful tummy aches & that darn broom flew off on its own again :o)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Donna, this is so enchanting! I love all the wonderous little details (even the faces on the cookies). Don't know how your fingers can work the magic they do. And your photography skills are remarkable as well!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a fabulous posting and such a delightful and enchanting spirit here! Loved visiting ~ thanks!
    ♥Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a charming story and amazing pictures, I´m glad I found it since I missed it in the blog hop. Great work.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!