For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Honeypot Cottages

We've had tons and tons...and TONS of rain and overcast days here.  It does a number on my energy-level, as I am a SUNSHINE GIRL all the way!  However, it has not kept me out of my art room - I've been quite busy in there creating fun little things.

I adore tiny things.  Ever since I was a little girl and longed to shrink myself small enough to enter into the castles and forests of my little pop-up books.  Isn't this pop-up amazing?  Doesn't it make you want to just shrink down and go exploring??


I would set up scenes in my dollhouses, then peek in through the window and imagine the story and life going on right there - and wanting so much to be a part of it! I would even angle the light just so to create the most magical vignette to gaze upon.


Photo credit 

I used to make little shoebox houses for my "fluffball animals".  I would set up the inside of it after cutting out doors and windows, gluing lacy fabric to the inside of the windows, arranging little pieces of homemade furniture, arranging the little "fluff balls" and then setting the lid on the box.  Then, I would peek in the window - delight!

When I created these Honeypot Cottages, they told me stories that delighted me and made me want to live in their tiny little world.  They told me stories of their neighbors - and those little folk who live in town.  The memories of festivals, holidays and special occasions celebrated together as a community...

Does that happen to you - do your art pieces tell you the story of themselves as you create them? (in an earlier post I mentioned how I was having some difficulty in this lately)

I pictured a magical little forest, filled with tiny pathways - invisible to all but those who know where to look.  Leading from cottage to cottage and to the little village (that still lives in my mind, but hopefully not for long!)

The overcast weather and rain wreaks havoc on taking good photos - but I busted out the light box, finagled my little portable lights and managed to get a few decent shots of my Honeypot Cottages. The words "Autumn Wish" on the photos is the name of my new Etsy Shoppe, which I will be launching very soon! Yay!  I am so excited about it!

(just to show the size of the little cottages)
(If you "poke" the photos, they will get bigger and you can see the details)

Daisy Meadow Cottage with the tiny garden and little bridge that crosses Acorn Creek (which leads down to Cottonwood Falls a few miles down - "miles" being in the scale of tiny folk, of course!
Forget-Me-Not Cottage  covered in tiny forget-me-nots and with little steppy-stones, also across Acorn Creek, which meanders through the Honeypot Haven
Prim-Rose Cottage tucked back among the spruce trees with tiny primroses winding up the roof.  The neighbors love to receive fresh cuttings from the dweller of this little cottage - they seem to bring the receiver of the tiny bouquets good luck!
Front:
Pumpkin Glen Cottage sits close to the edge of the forest, among the pumpkin vines and squash leaves that grow in the open meadow.  It is hard to find in summer, with the giant leaves hiding it and in fall, as it blends in with the bright, fiery fallen leaves.  But when found by the passing traveler, the tiny owner offers pumpkin spice scones and coffee! Mmmmmmm!
Back:


The Happy Mushroom Cottage ('nuff said) =)

I am constantly having to rescue these little cottages from my kitties (4 of them) who believe that their mommy (me) made these just for them...

Keep it Joyful, DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!