For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Fridge Drawer Salad Bar

I'm taking a break from posting pics of LOAD because, well, I'm behind.
 =)
The weekends are difficult for me to get my routine things done because we are so busy doing family fun stuff (and sometimes not-so-fun stuff...like catching up on laundry...)  However, I have built some catch up time into my day tomorrow and I will post pics of my LOAD layouts and maybe my Project Life January layouts.

In the meantime, I wanted to share something really neat that I learned about on Hannah Keely's site.  She has a cute video on how to do this.  A Salad Bar in your Fridge!!!  Ok, so maybe some of you have already done this, but to me it was  a "lightbulb" moment (said in the voice of Gru from Despicable Me).

I LOVE to make salads, but sometimes I just feel too lazy, or I'm in a hurry (usually to get back to my art room) and don't want to take the time to pull everything out, cut it up and make a salad.  When I read about this, it happened to be the day before my shopping day, so guess what I bought?  And I came home and got busy right away so that I would not put it off and never get to it (as I am most prone to do).

 First I bought lots of delicious goodies: mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, red onions, fresh broccoli, avocados, lettuce, baby spinach, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, radishes, olives, garbonzo beans, red kidney beans and a can of three bean salad for my guys.  I also purchased some of those plastic storage containers in different sizes that would fit my veggie drawer.
 Next, I got busy chopping - and taking nibbles as I chopped! mmmmmmm.....
 I began to fill the drawer with lots of containers of yummy goodness!  I left the little tomatoes in their container after washing them because they fit nicely in the drawer.  I washed and cut up the lettuce, then put it inside a ziplock baggie with a piece of paper towel to soak up any little bit of moisture left on the lettuce.
 Beautiful!
Delish yummy goodness - it makes me smile!

The guys all LOVE that I did this - they have all made salads since I put this together and if it will get them to eat better, then it was worth the little bit of work and time it took to put it together, right?

Take a peek at Hannah's site - she has lots of other fun stuff, too.

Keep it Joyful, Donna

6 comments:

  1. WOW, Donna, Thank you so much for linking this up--What a great idea!!! I'll have to do it too!!! (And you linked up perfectly!)

    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea!! I'm starting a new diet so I'm gonna do it! Thanks!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant! And it looks delicious! Such a good idea for when you're too lazy to make a salad (I am always too lazy for everything).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved seeing your beautiful salad bar...I love pre-prepping my salad fixings as well...it is so much easier. TFS. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!