For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Sunday, March 18, 2012

What I did on my Spring Break...

Spring break began two weeks ago - the boys had a week off from college (one of them - the one I drive - actually had two weeks off because his professor was out of town).  I had planned all kinds of fun ME stuff to do that week since I was not going to be driving back and forth to the campus:

A Creative Picnic©, a lunch date with my mom and another lunch date with some of my Chickipoos from book club and on Saturday, the Hubs and I had planned a daytrip together in the mountains.

Alas, it was not to be.  Sunday evening I went to bed anticipating the upcoming week and ended up waking in the night with a tummy flu.  Ick.  This flu lasted from Sunday night to Thursday morning, when I woke up feeling much better.

I had had to cancel my Creative Picnic© and my lunch dates - food was not something I even wanted to think about.  When I woke up feeling better on Thursday, I got up, showered, put on something pretty and sat down to write a list of all the things I was going to do.  I was feeling so good.

I went upstairs to brush my teeth and check my email - my laptop was sitting on my bed.  What followed was a whole series of unfortunate events...

Now...my bed is something like 10 feet off the ground - no joke.  Well, maybe not 10 feet, but high enough that I need a two-step step stool to climb up on it.  I am 4 feet 11 inches and the bed is higher than my waist if I stand next to it.
Next to our bed, under the window, is a beautiful hope chest that had belonged to my mother-in-law.

I stepped up on the stool so that I could sit down on the edge of the bed and check my email - but the next thing I knew I was falling backwards.  There was this moment when I realized I was not going to be able to catch myself - an "oh shit" moment.  And the next thought was "this is not going to end well".

And it didn't.

I hit the edge of the hope chest with my back and heard a crunch.  When I heard that, I KNEW it wasn't going to end well.

I hit the floor HARD.  One of my son's came running in and found me on the floor, unable to move.  I was in some serious pain.  However, he managed to get me into an upright position.  We determined that that was a far as I was going to be able to move, so he called an ambulance.

Can you just say "embarrassing"???  Boy did I feel stupid.

Well, the paramedics arrived, did a quick check of me and then decided that I was to be strapped down to a back board.  This included a piece of heavy duty tape across my forehead (which later, when ripped off, took a great deal of my bangs.  I wish it had taken some of my eyebrows - they could have used a waxing), and a neck brace.  I wasn't moving a bit on that board.  It was one of the most uncomfortable and excruciating pains I've ever experienced.

Once at the hospital another quick check was done and then the board was removed and I was taken in for xrays.  I did not break my hip (thank goodness!), but I have broken a rib.  (remember the "crunch" I heard?)

I was given something for pain, and a prescription for more pain meds and then Hubs and the boys brought me home.

As the pain meds wore off, I was given the prescription meds.  30 minutes later, I was unable to breathe and I passed out.

Guess what?  I got a SECOND ride to the ER in an ambulance - 2 in one day!  When I do something, I do it BIG.

Spring Break was just not going the way I had envisioned it.

I had two more black outs in the ER and they decided that I needed to be admitted.  So I got to spend the night and all of the next day and into the night in the hospital.  I was released at 11pm on Friday night.  While I was in the hospital I had brain scans and 2 EKGs and a sonogram of my heart (VERY cool!) and a heart enzyme test, plus a whole slew of blood tests to figure out why I fell in the first place.  Everything came back fine.  Oh, and I'm not pregnant...apparently they did a preggo test, too.

Since then I have not been a very happy camper.  I've been in horrible pain and I have needed help doing everything - which is really hard for me because I'm Mrs. Independent.  They had to give me a different, non-narcotic pain med because of the reaction I had to the other meds (I'm now referred to as the "Light Weight").  These do not work as well or last as long.  But hey, I'm alive.  I almost wasn't - so some pain is better than being dead, right?
(where I pretty much spent most of the week)
(Peepers, my constant companion)

I have spent this past week recovering.  I'm feeling frustrated because it takes me 5x as long to do things.  My Hubs and the Guys have been awesome - SUPER awesome!  In fact, my Hubs is out doing the grocery shopping right now.  I'm getting around a little easier now, but it still takes me forever to do the simplest thing.  And can I just say that having a broken rib SUCKS??  There is no way to sit, stand or lay that is comfortable.
(I got a way-cool walker with a little carrier pack to hold all those important things like lip balm and lotion and my book...)

I have had a few more episodes of heart palpitations and trouble breathing and dizziness, so I have to wear a heart monitor for a few days.  I honestly believe that they are probably just anxiety attacks.  I may also need an MRI for my lower back and hip because they are not feeling any better.  I was told that xrays only show bone damage; they will not show disc damage.  I have a few more dr. appointments in the next two weeks. The sprained muscles in my back ARE feeling better and the bruises are fading a bit (they were hideous).  I guess it takes a while for a rib to heal since there really isn't anything they can do for it.
(I'm now sleeping on my husband's side of the bed because I can't get up on the bed or lay on my right side.  Isn't it weird sleeping on the opposite side you are used to sleeping on.  For almost 27 years I've slept on the other side of the bed...)

The funny thing about all of this is how grateful I was to have had on a decent, pretty outfit the day it happened - a skirt and matching top.  I usually run around dressed in odd, mismatched long skirts and tops - ask my guys - they will tell you this is true.  So I was grateful that at least I looked sort of normal the day I fell and od'd. =)

I am obviously vain.

But the most important thing I discovered was how much I love my family.  When I was fading away I remember thinking that I just wanted them to know how much I loved them.  Nothing else really mattered in that moment...something that I've been thinking heavily about since then.

And that is how I spent my Spring Break.  How did you spend yours?  Hopefully in ways less painful and more fun that I spent mine. =)



2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, you poor thing, that all sounds awful. It must be such a relief to have your boys looking after you so well.

    I really hope you start feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. MY. GOD. DONNA!!!!

    I am soooo sorry this happened to you :(

    And I am really sorry as well that I haven't stopped by to check on your blog and see how you were doing. I wish this comment could have been posted a week ago.

    This is so horrible. You're too sweet to be injured so terrible. Good to know you aren't pregnant LOL! I'm sure you were very surprised haha! With grown children and all.

    I hope you heal well and quickly, and that you take the box spring off of your bed or something haha! That's how I know I couldn't ever sleep in a bunk bed... I imagine it would be similar, with your little 4'11" self!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!