For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What I've Been Doing While Convalescing...


I have not been able to get around much, but I've been keeping myself busy doing little things that I can sit and work on.

Before I share that, I want to share some Mail Love I recently received from Jennifer from At The Blue Barn (her blog is here).  At the beginning of LOAD she offered a goodie bag of scrapbooking items as a giveaway.  I left my comment and then received an email that I had won the giveaway! WooHoo!  I never win anything, so I was super excited about having been selected.

While sitting on the couch one day last week, feeling sorry for myself because I could barely move, my Hubs brought in a big box and said, "you got something in the mail.  What did you order now?"  (hehe...I can totally understand his reaction...).  Perplexed, I opened it up to find THIS:

and THIS:
and THIS:
and a lovely bag to carry it all in:
I was over the moon!  So many delicious, up-to-date and trendy papers (TONS of them!), ribbons, bits and bobbles for my scrapbooking endeavors!  I'm so excited!  I'm going to a weekend crop at the end of March called Preserve Your Journey and now I have some new things to create layouts with (all of my stash is ancient).  So, thank you, Jennifer!  I will put it all to good use!

I also got more mail love - but this time it was love I gave to myself (so my Hub's response was justified: "you got another box...what did you buy this time?").  I purchased some goodies for a class I am taking over at Roses on my Table:

Some died silk sari ribbons that I purchased from Etsy
A bag of bottle caps and epoxy
And I'm also waiting for a special journaling pen to arrive.  Yay!

So, that is it for Mail Love right now.  While I've been able to do nothing except sit, I've been preparing for my garden season by making these little newspaper pots with a pot-maker I got from Etsy several years ago:
This weekend one of My Guys is going to help me wrangle a big bag of potting soil to a spot where I can sit an fill these little pots with soil and seeds.  I LOVE this time of year!!
I am going to be using the Square Foot Gardening method again this year, as last year's garden was a huge success for me!
My garden is a disaster right now - I can't wait to get out there and prepare it for seedlings:
Many of my herbs never died back.  The bottom right of the picture, where all the little white flowers are - that is arugula - it has taken over the bottom half of that bed.  The middle bed is full of cilantro and the far bed is full of rosemary, thyme and a few other things.  I think I even see a bit of basil peeking through next to the cilantro.  

Heaven, I tell ya!

While I've been healing from being banged up, spring tip-toed into my yard:
Our Bradford pears are blooming so pretty - it almost looks like snow
And my real pear is just beginning to bloom as well:
Everything out in the wetland is beginning to green up:
And shy violets are peeking up through the leaves in my flowerbeds:
The lilacs are showing tiny buds that will soon open and release the most intoxicating fragrance:
The Bradford pear outside my bedroom window is blooming beautifully:
It makes me feel like my bedroom is a treehouse
nestled among the branches, giving our bedroom a lovely, soft green tint.
I love it in the summer when it is all green and leaves - it feels even more like a treehouse then.

I have been unable to have my Creative Picnics © because I had the flu, and then fell - but I've been able to work a little bit at my art table.  I'm creating swatches of the techniques we've learned so far:
I'm going to cut these into 8 pieces each, hole-punch them and put them on a ring for each of my students.  On the back is an explanation of how we did that particular technique.  They can add new discoveries to their ring and use it to refer to later when they want to create mixed media pieces.  Sometimes I will do something I just love, then forget how I did it when I want to go and recreate it.  This is my answer to that.

I'm also reading the most wonderful series of books: Game of Thrones.  After I read the first book I went and watched the first season of the series.  Awesome.  But...the books are better!  Take my word for it - read the books first!

So, while I am not able to do a lot of BIG stuff that I want to do, I'm able to do some small stuff - so I'm trying to be patient (which has never been one of my virtues) while my body heals and I can get to the big stuff.

What have you been up to - do share!

Keep it Joyful,


2 comments:

  1. Get well soon hun :) the garden is a calling lol and what a wonderful aray of gooddies you had the posty man deliver :)x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful prize to win! Looks like that parcel was literally chock full of goodies! I am jealous hee hee! Oh your weather looks utterly wonderful. Leaves! We have no leaves yet. I am afraid the trees will die because last week we had a heat wave and they all started budding, now tonight it's meant to go down to -19C!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!