For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Monday, June 18, 2012

Little Earthquakes


Mark and I picked out a new tree.  It is called an Autumn Blaze Maple.  It is actually quite tall - 14 feet, but it is dwarfed by the much larger and older maple next to it.  One day, little maple, you too will be towering over our house.

It feels right to have a tree there again, even if it is a very young tree.  I will enjoy watching it grow.

We started some kind of trend in our neighborhood.  When our development was built 15 years ago, the developer put Bradford pears in just about everyone's yards.  Ours is not the only tree that had reached the end of it's life cycle.  Since the day ours was cut down, the 3 neighbors across the street from us have had theirs removed, too, as well as others around the neighborhood.  Kind of sad to see all the shade trees going away, but I believe just about everyone intends to replace them with new trees.

The trees used to give us privacy - now we feel very exposed.  Last weekend we went out and purchased new, faux wood blinds for the upstairs windows.  One of these days we will get around to putting them in. =)
Peepers asked if her picture could be placed here - she approves of our new tree and the new blinds.  She wanted everyone to know that.

This past weekend was incredibly...active.  Little earthquakes everywhere.

On Friday Mark took the day off and my two oldest sons moved out of our home.  It was a very emotional day for the two of us. =)  I guess it was inevitable that eventually they would move out.

It is strange that there are only 3 of us here now - the 3 oldest out on their own.  I don't know if I even know how to cook for only 3 people.  I'm used to cooking for 6 or more.  Even when there were just the 5 of us, I could still cook large and it would get eaten.  I guess this will be practice for when it is just 2 of us rolling around in this big ol' house.

Saturday we went to see the Avengers Movie.  It was the second time for Mark and I, but we wanted to take our youngest son and get out of the house for a while.   But first we went to lunch and had the best salads in the world, and after the movie we went to a book store and nosed through books and magazines for a long while.  Then we came home to an empty, quiet house...

Fun, fun movie!  I ADORE comic book movies (I know...I'm a geek) and this one (so far) is my absolute fav!!

I kinda like Thor, too.  Kinda.  Sorta.  Let's just say he's on my top 5 list. =)

Anyway, Sunday was Father's Day AND our 23rd wedding anniversary.  So, we took Mark out to breakfast at a favorite local restaurant that makes his favorite sourdough french toast.  For dinner we had company and I made a homemade pulled chicken bbq on rolls, with homemade cole slaw, sweet corn on the cob and for dessert, this:

I got the recipe from Taste of Home.  Mark LOVES ice cream sandwiches, and this is called an Ice Cream Sandwich cake.
It went great with coffee and was a big hit.  Next time I would make it differently, though.  In fact, we will be going to my mumzy's for the July 4th celebration and I may make my version of it for that day...

I signed up for an art class - I haven't taken any kind of art class in well over a year.  I have always been fascinated with faces - drawing and painting them.  Since I began drawing faces, I have discovered how beautiful people are - truly.  Have you noticed that, too?

Sharon Tomlinson gave me pointers from the very beginning of my (serious) drawing career, and then I took her first class called "Faces" several years ago.  I am taking her newest class in July called "A Diary of Faces".  It runs for 18 weeks from July 9 - November 9 and I'm really excited about it.

Today it rained.  The house was full of silence and shadows.  Not a bad thing - just a different thing.

I'm thinking of changing my blog header to reflect my blog address: Joyfully Donna rather than A Mermaid Dream.  I will still keep the sea theme - because the sea is very much in me, but the name does not fit me so well. =)  

Well, that's all for now.

(PS - I don't know why some of the text has a white background...I must have done something, but I have no idea what...)

Joyfully,


2 comments:

  1. Ice cream sandwich cake, goodness me that looks delicious!

    I haven't seen the Avengers movie yet but it's on my list, I'm a huge fan of comic book movies too. I know what you mean about Thor ;-) but Iron Man is my fav.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, was wondering why the text had a white background. I don't know what you did either.

    Awww what madness, two of your boys leaving in the same day! I am still in the nest haha, since I go to college in my hometown. But my brother left four years ago and moved about 5 hours away. My dear mother was heartbroken. And my grandmother was sick to her stomach for about a month about the whole thing.

    Oh, that cake looks delicious! I love ice cream sandwiches too! And I have to say, thanks for putting Peepers in there. CUTTEEEEEE! The new tree looks lovely, I am sure it will grow to be strong and shady like the last one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!