For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Long Post or I've Been Away Too Long

I've been away for so long I don't even know where to begin again!  Life has been so busy and so full.  Many, many times over the past few months I've often thought "Oh, I need to post about this and that, and this!", but then life stays full and there is no time for posting.

This makes me sad and I do not want my blog to languish. In fact, I am even more determined to make my blog a kind of "memoir" for myself - a sort of "Book of Me".

In addition to my Project Life - which I really do for my family.  My blog is for me.

I've spent a great deal of time in my garden - planting seedlings, setting up trellises and cages for tomatoes and peppers and fairytale eggplants.  We put tiny stones between the beds 

and decorated the old wooden gate-turned-trellis and planted flowers (morning glories and moonflowers) that we hope will vine up the trellis, with a few nasturtiums for salads.

This is a metal ladle I found at a local thrift store for $1 and made into a kind of succulent pot
And I figured out what to I should do with all those wine corks I was saving
My son gave me a little fairy house to set out for the garden fairies
and my husband got me a solar-powered globe to tuck among the herbs.
I've been undone by such simple things that invoke sweet memories and a rush of sadness, too (a story for another day)
We tried our hand at making a new kind of sauce for our homemade pizzas, with an explosion of flavor
but delicious results!

I've been snapping photos of the little (and big) critters that visit our yard for the treats my husband leaves out for them.

 This was taken from my kitchen window:
We've enjoyed dinners and desserts out with friends at one of our favorite restaurants, Mimi's

and the two of us have snuck away in early mornings for a cozy breakfast for two.
(the BEST sourdough french toast - I figured out how to make it myself and we've enjoyed it at home, as well!)

My heart has been melted by my little feline fur babies.
After months and months of feeding this orphaned kitty I was finally able to snap a photo of him - he is a true Shadow Cat, so that is what we've named him (but as the tradition in our family goes, our cats have may names.  This one also has the rather excessive name of Thor Valhalla, so named by my sons.  My husband just calls him "outside kitty).  He is gorgeous, but unfortunately he is also quite shy.  I'm looking for a way to get some heartworm meds into the food so he will eat it since he won't let us within 20 feet of him.
(We actually cleaned up these front beds last weekend and planted new things in there and they look much better than this photo! lol!)

I tried my hand at making rose/lavender oil based on inspiration from Vanessa at Fanciful Twist,




but it was an epic fail.  It smells like lavender salad dressing.  Next time I will use a much lighter oil.  It will have to wait until next year as my rose season is over here.


I've read lots of books and taken time to sip some herbal tea (a blend of jasmine and rose).

I'm getting used to a life with my kids fully grown, in college and living their own lives and my grandbabies being 3000 miles away.  I think I'm even finally beginning to enjoy it (for a long time I think I was drowning in sorrow but I will not.  I will never let myself drown like that again).

Mark and I have plans to attend local outdoor concerts and the Library of Congress Pony Theater with friends.  We have plans to attend local festivals (wine, greek, art, and more).  Every weekend we have things that we do together - in the yard/garden/flower beds and places that we go.  We've also been watching all the old 80s movies of our youth on our Pizza/Movie night since it is usually just the two of us now.  It is fun to relive the movies and relive some of the happy memories of our youth. =)

Grown-up things for just the two of us (and sometimes our grown up friends come along).  It is like dating again, only we are older and wiser and everything is better.

However, I discovered that in all the busy fullness of my life, I had let magic slip away.  The magic of miniature things; the magic of stories that beg to be told; the simple magic of being child-like.  I would catch a glimpse of it now and then while in the garden or listening to music or rummaging around in the local thrift and antique stores.

I woke up the other morning thinking of my late grandmother Ruby Pearl and a story she told me many years ago about her childhood.  It has inspired me to make something - more about that later!
I think it was the fairy house and the globe that reminded me that I have not played in some time.  I have not talked to the frogs or birds.  I have not painted any stories.  When I looked at the globe lit softly in the night, I was reminded.  My life is not complete without at least a little bit of magic in it.

Here is a little bit of magic that I want to share with you:


Joyfully,



2 comments:

  1. Donna dearest,
    Have missed your blogging tons. You are such a kindred spirit to me and I am happy to see life has been well.

    What an adorable fairy house! And yummy food, golly dolly pizza! Looks so good :)

    Love that idea of your blog being a memoir for you. I think that's remarkable. I used to keep a diary when my life was more social and chaotic. Since it isn't anymore my blog mostly tells the whole truth about my life (well, with a little bit of sugarcoating but who doesn't). I think there is even a company that will print all of your blog posts and create a beautiful book for you. That would have to be something I'd save for when I'm done blogging, which I don't see happening anytime soon.

    Hope you keep up posting, love to see posts from you in my box :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you've been up to some wonderful stuff. I love that you get such wonderful animals in your garden and that comment about it feeling like you and your husband are dating again.....sooo romantic.

    Thor Valhalla such an awesome name!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!