For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Abundant Garden, Freaky Dericho, Life...


Haha!  I thought I had posted a garden update, but I guess I took the pictures, loaded them on my computer and then got distracted by other things and forgot to finish what I began...

...ah, the silly story of my life!

I am a terrible blogger - how could I forget to post my post?

So, my garden update.  Well, it is doing so wonderfully - even better than when I took these pictures a week or so ago!

I have three beds: my cuc/peppers (of all kinds) and salad bed (lettuce, arugula, spinach):
The tomato, basil and squash bed (with morning glories growing up the gate-turned-trellis): 
and the herb bed. Sooo many different mints like apple mint, lime mint, spearmint and peppermint; thyme, oregano, dill, cilantro, lavender, rosemary, catnip (for the kitties) and I am quite certain I am leaving some out...: 
I have banana peppers, mixed jalapeno peppers, pablano peppers and mixed bell peppers
Here is a pablano baby-to-be
 and the promise of banana peppers
I have pickling cucumbers (which we also like in our salads): 
  and larger salad cucumbers - these are babies and they are growing FAST!
And here are my Fairytale eggplants - well, future ones anyway!
In my squash/tomato bed I have lots of zucchini and squash - here is one that is ready for picking (and which I have picked and cooked already)
 Can you spot the baby zucs?
 And there is also the squash - I have picked a few of these and eaten them as well as shared with others - YUM!  They are so vividly YELLOW!
 More babies...oh, the promise!
There are also many, many tomato plants, but it hard to see in the pictures because they are behind the squash.  I have Roma, Mr. Stripey, two different purple/black tomatoes whose names slip my mind, cherry tomatoes, beef steak and Brandywine (we love fresh tomatoes).  Most of them are heirloom and repropogated themselves. Those are the ones I call "rogue" tomatoes - they are growing up in the herb garden and in the salad garden, as well as pots where I transplanted them:
 From this angle you can seem a few of the tomato plants.  I am vining some and caging some.  My hubs has been going out to buy me extra cages as we find more rogue tomatoes.  I cannot bring myself to pull the large ones, even though early on I pulled PLENTY of tiny ones and gave them to friends.
We've been discussing how next year perhaps we should add a bed just for the squash and then the tomatoes can have their own bed, too.
 It is always a shock to me that my gardens are successful each year.  I do not have the confidence that they will thrive and I am always grateful when they do!
Yes, I am well pleased with my modest little garden - it is just the perfect size for us with plenty to share with others.  I really love the square-foot gardening technique for so many reasons and recommend it if you have a small space or do not want the work of a huge garden (although I have seen some beautiful square foot gardens that are very large).

I have been doing other delightful things: we celebrated Independence Day with family and fireworks.  I'm taking water aerobics with my mom 5 hours a week.  I finished a dollhouse and now I'm working on the furniture for the dollhouse, enjoying very much the Diary of Faces class by Sharon Tomlinson, embroidering happy things and working on a special project that I will show later.  Reading. Watching the tv show, Damages, while I paint furniture.

Also enjoying simple homecaring tasks and recovering from a Derecho, which is a storm with hurricane force winds, but not a hurricane.  We lost part of another tree (bummer) as well as our power for several days during a 100+ heat wave.  Not fun. I am so grateful for air conditioning!!

 I am also still doing my Project Life, although in fits and starts, as life seems almost too busy to take the time to document all of it! 

Oh!  Did you notice my new blog banner?  It matches the address now - I love it!  I also had one made for my Etsy shop (which is not yet open, but I hope will be soon!)

And, one other thing.  I love Chateau St. Michelle Reisling.  I also love limes.  I put some fresh lime juice and the lime slice into my chilled glass (I keep my wine glasses in the freezer) of St. Michelle ~ refreshing! Delicious! Mmmmmmm!  Try it!

Tonight we are going to dinner and a play in which we have a friend performing.  I'm looking forward to dressing up, getting out of the house for a bit and doing something grown up.

It is hard to believe that we are already in mid-July.

Life rushes on ~ joyfully!

Joyfully,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!