For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Friday, July 27, 2012

I wish you could smell my kitchen...


I decided to do some cooking and preserving, so I went out and picked some goodies from the garden.  I like to prepare freezer meals and sauces for those times when I am too busy (read lazy) to cook.  They have come in very handy.  You know.  For when I've been "busy"...
First, I poured a cup of coffee.  I would have poured a glass of wine, but really, it was too early.  I do have standards, you know...
I pulled out my recipe box (it is such a joyful mess!) and tucked the basil and some arugula in water to keep it crisp (we like to use both arugula and basil in salads and omelets),
then got busy making homemade spaghetti sauce (with a nice Cabernet sauvignon added to it - wine makes everything better - but you knew that, right?  I promise I did not sip any of it...)
and chopped veggies for my by-the-seat-of-your-pants soup - this time I think I even had some mild Italian sausage to throw in there:
While that simmered, I made some pesto:
I only had a handful of pine nuts, so I also added a bit of walnut to it.  And when I ran out of walnut, I used some pecans - delish!
I even added a bit of pesto to the soup:
(I probably should have waited until it was in my bowl, but this is by-the-seat-of-your-pants cooking after all.  I never claimed to be a chef.)
When all was said and done I ended up with this for the freezer:
Five little packets of pesto (I gave two to my mom), 2 pork loin roasts in marinade, 1 herb/wine chicken, 2 caribbean chicken, and two santa fe chicken packets (enough for 4 servings each)
16 cups of homemade spaghetti sauce
and 12 cups of soup (we ate some for lunch, so I had 10 cups to freeze)
Once the kitchen was tidied up again, I poured my well-earned glass of wine! =)

Cheers!

Do you like to freezer cook?  What is your favorite freezer meal - please share!
Joyfully,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!