For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Rivers of Chocolate!!



I wanted to share a super simple recipe with you all.

This past weekend was my brother-in-law's birthday and we pretty much celebrated it the entire weekend.  We cooked a nice meal (a pork loin roast in marinade), played a little Rock Band and talked, drank some sangria, went to see the new Bat Man movie, watched the Olympics (not necessarily in this order) and had dinner Sunday night at one of my favorite, local authentic Italian restaurants, Castiglias.

We've been watching the Olympics like crazy here.  I have never enjoyed the summer sports as much as I enjoy the winter, but for some reason this year I have really been loving them!  I am amazed at how these young people just keep breaking records and raising the bar for the next Olympians.  Awesomeness!  It also seems to me that those who participate are older than in past years - maybe I am wrong in this - but I think it is great that well into one's 30s they can still participate full-on, break records and take the gold! Woohoo!

Me, I make an Olympian sport of cheering them on with my glasses of wine!

Anyway, the recipe.  I made a similar cake for my hubs on Father's Day and decided to create one to celebrate my Brother-in-law's special day, only this time I wanted to make it more like an ice cream sundae.  It turned out delish!  Best of all, it is super easy!
mmmmmm....layers of ooey-gooey goodness!

Melty goodness!!

mmmmmmmm.....Rivers of chocolate...

Ice Cream Sandwich Cake

You will need:

2 boxes of mini ice cream sandwiches (you will not use the entire second box)
one container of whipped topping
4 small bananas, peeled and sliced like little coins
1 jar of strawberry topping
1 can of crushed pineapples or pineapple topping (I used crushed pineapples, well drained.  I used the juice to add to our Sangrias - yum!)
salted peanuts
chocolate syrup
a 9x13 inch casserole dish

Place the ice cream sandwiches in a layer in the bottom of the casserole dish.  Next, smooth on a layer of whipped topping.  Place banana coins on top of the whipped topping.  Next add dabs of the crushed pineapple and strawberry topping, sprinkle with peanuts and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Then repeat: ice cream sandwiches, whipped topping, bananas, pineapple and strawberry topping, nuts and chocolate syrup.  Cover loosely and freeze a while to get everything to firm up.  Once firm, serve and enjoy!

I loved the combo of the salty and sweet!
See? Super easy!  You can even make this well in advance, cover tightly with plastic wrap and keep in the freezer (um, where else would you keep it?) until you are ready to serve it.

If you make it, tell me what you think.

Joyfully,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!