For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Gillomies!


I've been wanting to share a project here on my blog that I worked on over November and December, but I had to wait until I had given it to the person for whom it was made. =)

Meet the Gillomies (pronounced Jill-o-mees)

Earth

Wind/Air

Fire

and Water

I made about a thousand of these before I got to these particular Gillomies.  I am not the greatest at knitting and it took me some time to figure out what size needles I wanted to use to get the size I wanted for each of the Gillomies.

The name "Gillomies" came from my sons, who often looked at my finished creations and commented on them.  The earlier ones looked like giraffes.  Then, as things progressed, they began to look more like llamas.  Finally, about the 999th one, they began to look like ponies (you don't even want to know what the earlier seahorses looked like...)  

It was decided that they should be called "Gillomies" and so they are.

I also made a needlefelted playmat:

mushroom house (whose roof comes off):

and 2 cute little gnomies to go with it:


However, my most favorite thing was this:

A seasonal tree.  I included balls of fluffed roving in the colors of autumn, snow and spring colors to be put on the tree as the seasons change (it is wearing summer in this photo).

I love how the trunk and roots turned out!


Here is the entire set:
(please forgive the terrible lighting - we had a string of gloomy days and nothing I did improved any of the photos I tried to take...)

I guess practice makes perfect, but my little Gillomies just did not improve all that much no matter how many I made!  I had fun making them, though, and I guess that is important, too.

I am looking forward to making my next set for another little person!


Joyfully,



3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh what a magnificent creation Donna! Incredible job! I love the tree as well ;) It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THESE, Donna! They are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fab! I love your Gillomies, they are so cute, especially Air.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!