For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Friday, January 4, 2013

My Project 52 Things!



At the beginning of the year I love to write down all the wonderful things I want to try to accomplish.  Some of those things are new and some of them are projects that I want to finally complete.  

I also choose a word to focus on each year.  About 6 years ago I chose Joy.  Every year since I have tried to focus on a new word, but I always come back to Joy.  This year it is - you guessed it - Joy!

But back to what I was saying...

I try to come up with at least 52 things I want to do over the course of the year - but often come up with even more (I really want to do it all..)   I do not always get all of those things done - in fact, rarely do I ever get all 52 things on the list accomplished...but some years I come pretty darn close!

In past years I've kept a list in a notebook, or written on a big piece of paper and hung it in my art room where I could look at it every day.  I love to take a colored marker and mark off each one as I do it - I'm a major list-maker and there is nothing more satisfying to me than making a strike through something I've completed on my list!

This year is no different - my current list is up to 89 delicious things (and I keep adding to it)!  I am currently keeping the list in my little journal book.  I'm in my book every day so it is easy for me to see the list and think about what I want to try next.

The idea is not to just cross things off my list (but, oh how I love to cross them off!)  It is to make an intentional effort to live a full life, try new things, and hopefully get at least some of my projects finished before 2014. 

My intention in the upcoming year is to try one new-to-me thing or choose one of the projects I want to complete each week and then blog about it.  This is, after all, my memoir.  I want to record the things I create, tried, finished and even the things I failed at.

There are many "Project 52" challenges going on around the web - all of them are good fun!  Most of them have a kind of theme: 52 photos, 52 new things, etc.  My Project 52 is pretty much tailored to me and I look forward to working on something each week and sharing it here on my blog every Friday.

Even if I don't complete all of the delicious things I want to do, it is more than I would have done if I did not live intentionally thinking about and attempting to do these things.

This week I am completing a bathroom project.  I began it some time ago and then never really finished it.  This weekend it will be done and I will finally mark it off my list for good!

I would love to know what your plans are for the year - please share and if you blog about it, leave a link where I can visit and read all about it!

Joyfully,


1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea! I'd love to be able to do something similar but I know I'd never keep up with it. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!