For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Have you ever had one of these?


Today I woke up feeling a bit..."off".  Have you ever had one of those days?  Like the day is just slightly off kilter, crooked, wonky...enough to make you feel like things just aren't lined up properly.

On most days - in fact yesterday - I felt so excited to be alive!  I felt so much gratitude for my life, my kitchen, the sunshine.  All day long I whispered "thank you!" over and over again.

Today I woke up and my coffee tasted funny.  I heard a crash on my front porch and ran out to discover that a ground hog had nibbled the blossoms off of four pots of mums on my porch (greedy little bastard!) - knocking over 3 of the pots and breaking branches on what was left.

The pots of mums on the bale of hay with the adorable scarecrow, terra cotta pumpkin and little mini pumpkins and gourds nestled around it - the display we set up this weekend and never quite got around to taking a picture of for our Project Life album.

I yelled at the ground hog, who ambled a short distance away and then blinked slowly at me a few times, while nibbling on some late violets in my flower bed.

Later, I went out to the garden to discover that several of my last tomatoes had big bites taken out of them by a hungry deer AND to add insult to injury, a raccoon (or that pesky groundhog) took a dump on my deck.

Took.a.dump.on.my.deck.

Hooping always makes me feel better, but today I just could not find my rhythm and instead cracked myself pretty hard across the bridge of my nose.  I kept it up for 30 minutes before saying "forget it" and tossing the hoop in the corner.  I went for a 2 mile walk instead and thankfully, did not run into any groundhogs.

I had been doing some reading and researching on a project I want to work on - and suddenly felt overwhelmed by it all.  All the baby steps needed to begin feel more like giant leaps. The idea of having to market a creative project felt like torture - all I want to do is create, you know?

Then I felt...old.

And silly.

And ridiculous.

Like maybe the only thing I've ever been good at is just being a mom, a cook and baker, keeping a home, reading books.  I suddenly felt silly wanting to be a writer, an artist, a hooper, physically fit, or someone capable of taking good photographs.

I felt ridiculous thinking about how I love my oracle cards, Reiki, talking to angels and trees and believing that there is magic in everyday things.

Today I felt like I was standing at the very base of all my dreams, with my head tilted so far back looking up to the tippy top of my dreams - invisible in the clouds.

Defeated.

Do you ever feel like that?

It sucks.

I'm hoping tomorrow I wake up and feel different, but for tonight I think I will just go to bed with a good book, a glass of wine and call it a day.

Joyfully, Donna

2 comments:

  1. Oh Donna! Your blog posts are back! I have to say, yesterday I had one of those days, and I started to wonder if my funloving self had turned into a nasty old witch with the onset of Autumn weather. Have to say I've been quite a you-know-what to all my loves in real life lately. But alas, it was probably hormonal or something, as I woke up today feeling ... spritely even! Sometimes it's just a rough time, and you're back to yourself after a good sleep. I never underestimate the whole "you'll feel better in the morning" thing. It's almost always true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh - those pesky hormones! Almost as bad as greedy groundhogs. =) I'm glad you feel better - amazing what a good night of rest can do. I am still battling the groundhog (and I know who has lost that fight...it is NOT the groundhog), but I feel less overwhelmed about things for now. Thanks so much for stopping by, beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!