For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Friday, November 29, 2013

The Autumn story

Autumn has always been my most favorite time of year.  I'm always happy when it arrives and sad to see it go. 

It begins with the light changing and moving in different patterns through the house

There is a slowing and fewer things to gather in my skirt when I go out to the garden


Big, empty webs fill spaces

Garden spiders are still busy, but as the nights grow cooler, they are seen less and less

There are hints of the fire hidden within the green


Candy corn shows up on store shelves (I eat them by nibbling off the white tips and working my way down) 

The porch is decorated for the littlies we hope will come knocking at our door 

One day we wake up and the maple tree is crowned in fire

The bradford pear turns plum and chartreuse 

Hubby nudges me to take photos so he can get the leaves mulched

And finally bright oranges, reds and golden yellows give way to silvery bareness

~*~*~

The birds and squirrels (and a raccoon or two) pick the feeders empty - such hungry little hearts...

Swirly sapphire skies and balmy yellow sunlight fill the days

while peachy marigold sunsets take one's breath away


and fire reflects in the small lake across the street, framed in silver 

Feather misty moon sails across chilly night skies 

and brings with it a dusting of frost on flowers, grass...

and the tiny garden...putting it to sleep for the winter.

On a grey, wet day of fat, falling snowflakes, it is time to break out my favorite apron and beloved family recipes

And give truth to this:

A corner cabinet becomes "Command Central"

While sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cranberries and cherries simmer happily

There is mess after beautiful mess to clear 

so that one can begin again

Filling the house with the delicious scent of rosemary, bay leaves and sage.

The table is set

A visit to the herb garden to find hidden behind what is left of the mints - rosemary cut and hung from the chandelier to fill the room with scent 

Family heirlooms are brought out of cabinets and hutches 

to be touched and held and the stories told once again... 

The pies are done and set to cool

Pumpkin and Cherry... 


The turkey is brought out of the oven

and everyone gathers at the table - so much to be thankful for, hearts overflowing - thankful for one another, for life, for the rolls, turkey, stuffing and more before us.

Wine is poured, blessing said, toasts made and as the sun drops below the horizon in one last flash of orange, autumn draws to a close.

breathe in...breathe out...

...exhale...and inhale...

And now...now December's story begins...

Joyfully,

Donna

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Donna! You have had the prettiest autumn! Love your Halloween decorations and your Thanksgiving feast looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer!

    Autumn WAS very pretty this year – the prettiest we’ve had in some time. We are supposed to have a cold and white winter – I hope so! Where I am in VA it is often hit or miss and our winters tend to be pretty mild. I want snow and cold and an excuse to sit on the couch and knit. =)

    Hugs! Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!