For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Friday, December 6, 2013

Mice and Moonbeams, revisited


Day 6 of KIOS - Share our first blog post

My first blog was Mice and Moonbeams in 2006 and oh how I loved that blog!  I lost it after a few years of having it when I tried to back it up...and lost every single post.  It devastated me and it was really hard to even begin blogging again after that.  So, I no longer have any of the posts, but I DO have the photographs from that blog.

I remember my first post was about my dad.  It was a part of Project 365 (which is what got me blogging in the first place).  I took a picture of my dad's lab coat which was given to me after he passed away in 1995:


He was a pediatrician.  I also have his stethoscope and the little pink elephant he always wore on his lapel to make the kids smile.  I think my brother got his doctor's bag - and yes, it was one of those old-fashioned doctor's bags that held all his gear.  I think my brother got the ear-checker-thingy, too.

He was also a folk singer.  
My brother has Daddy's first Yamaha guitar and I got the 12 string and the Oscar Schmidt.  They are cherished.  My dad's hands held them.


And he was a sailor.
And because of that, I am a mermaid. =)



This was the poem read by his best friend at the funeral.
(I cry every time I read it)

"I am standing upon the seashore.  A ship at my side spreads  her white sales to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.  She is an object of beauty and strength.  I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says "There, she is gone."

"Gone where?"

"Gone from my sight, that is all."

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as when she left my side and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me, not in her.  Just at the moment that someone says, "There, she is gone" there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"

By Henry Van Dyke

I am jealous of the ones who took up the glad shout "Here she comes!"  Still.

He was all of these, but mostly he was my Daddy.  I used to love the Pippi Longstocking books and I imagined I was her and he was Pippi's captain daddy.

My favorite photo of him:

Captain Daddy

The pictures are blurry, but I love them.

I wish I still  had the post, but at least I have the photos! 

Joyfully,

Donna






5 comments:

  1. Donna what a wonderful tribute to your Dad. I am so glad that I got to know a little about him. Thank you for sharing him with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such love in you post - it fills my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you - I still miss him very much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!