For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wintertime

I have spent the last 2 1/2 weeks sick and home bound.  I've spent much of the time laying in bed or on the couch with my kitties keeping me company (and sharing their warmth on these cold days).

I had been doing the Journal 52 challenge, but when I got sick I just did not feel up to pulling out paints and getting all messy.  Instead I worked on some needlefelting in short increments and watched old seasons of Revenge (have any of you seen that?):

(I will post some pictures of how it turned out next time.)
...and lately I have been wanting to sip hot mugs of tea with lemon:
Just regular ol' tea - nothing fancy.

I still have not put away the decorations and dishes from our Super Bowl gathering (of which I did not get to enjoy any of the goodies, but I was able to sip a glass of wine and be with some of my favorite people).

We have a birthday coming up in a week, so I might just leave them up and just remove the football related decorations.

I've spent lots of time these past weeks sleeping, reading, writing and doing lots and lots of thinking.

About goals and old souls/young souls.  About forgiveness and baking bread.  About wanting to wear my brand new hooping outfit but not feeling like doing anything but laying on the couch covered in kitties.  About how different our life is now that the children are all grown.  About how to needlefelt mice toes the best way and the meandering paths of my little mouse stories.  

And summer.

I do not like winter.  I have tried to like it.  I've tried to love the "coziness" of it, the slower rhythms.  I DO love those things, but winter just makes me feel sad and longing for warmth and sunshine. The sun in winter just feels...thin.  The colors are all silver, black and brown.  Winter has it's own quiet beauty, I know.  I try to love it, but I just don't.

 I miss the varying shades of greens and purples and reds and pinks of summer.  I miss the buttery yellow of summer sunlight.  The dark, cool shadows under the hydrangea bush, the buzz of summer insects and frogs and toads singing love songs in the evenings.

I never, ever feel warm enough in winter.

I keep telling myself Spring is only 6 weeks away.  The clocks will "spring" forward and there will be sunlight for just a little longer each day.  I will be able to go out and turn the dirt in my garden and think about where I want to place my plants this year.

Here are some of the books I've devoured while laying around:
and currently:

What have you been reading?  

This is what I've been listening to:


So, do you like winter?  What do you love about it, or is it hard for you as well?

Off to snuggle with some kitties!

Joyfully,
Donna

4 comments:

  1. We get such bitter cold winters that I have to choose to enjoy myself or I'd be miserable for 5 months. I think it's fun until after Christmas, then I'd just like the snow and cold to go away! I do love milder rainy days, not much of a sun girl if it's too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading Rick Riordan's books, the first three beginning with 'The Lightening Thief'. Also, Eragon by Christopher Paolini and the three following books (re-reading them right now). I got the bad cough and cold and all I have wanted to do is sleep, but I do make the meals for my hubby and 22 year old Down's Syndrome son. My other adult children have left the nest. Two are married, and one is still in college. So I do crafts, mixed media and one-of-a-kind dolls which I learned how to make on 'the trodden path' ning site on the 'Cloth and Clay doll workshop' tutorial. This is how I keep my sanity by learning new crafts and keeping up with the flow of the craft movement on blogs.
    Get well soon! And hope that sunshine comes out for you.
    hugs,
    Teresa in California
    where we haven't had enough rain
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music video is fantastic, BTW.
    I will have to listen to more of Zoe.
    Oh, also another book I read, a Gothic novel by Susanna Clarke 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' a very long novel and if you don't believe in real fairies, you will after reading this one! Dark, selfish fairies. It is kind of a hard book to find but is available in paper back on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, I'm good with winter around the holidays, too - but after that it is a real struggle for me. I'm so glad spring is only 6 weeks away!

    Teresa, thanks for the books suggestions! I think I have a few of those on my shelves downstairs and I will have to pull them out. I definitely want to read Jonathan Strange (I think I began it some time ago but for some reason did not get far...sort of unusual for me...) And yes, do check out more of Zoe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!