For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Spring Story


Spring's Story begins with tiny white flowers in the space where tomatoes from summer before used to grow...


and delicate, almost autumn-colored buds on the maple trees...


Colors in my art room....


Inspired by the gorgeous flowers of early spring...


A riotous celebration of color and fragrance spilling across my table waiting for family to gather and celebrate the re-awakening of a Perfect Love...


Complete with chocolate bunnies and a sweet berry and lemon cake filled with lightly sweetened mascarpone cheese...


Even in my landlocked state I am always thinking of the beautiful sea...


...and evenings are filled with ombre sunsets...


The garden grows from 3 beds to 9... 


We have a lovely vision for it that may take a year or two to be fully realised.


We can see a delicate metal fence and arbor spilling climbing roses...pathways of mulch and stepping stones...fairy lights to light the way when the sun goes down...


In these early days of spring, the weather seems confused - it does not know if it wants to be warm or cool...


...and some chilly, rainy days call for warm naps in a nest of blankets and quilts...


I run out to the garden every morning and look closely...finally one day I go out to see teeny, tiny green leaves poking above the soil.  It is such a miracle to me - how tiny seeds planted in dirt can become a harvest later.

And look - the garden has already produced grapes and hops just in time for Friday night pizza and a movie!


A nest is prepared in the lilac tree beside the garden by two grey catbirds - it looks a bit of mess here...


But in almost no time they have create a cozy, perfect nest for two love-birds!


Back beds were cleaned up and new flower seeds and tubers planted...


And old ones burst into bloom...


 I was a bit daunted by what was left to do...a monster rose bush surrounded by wayward mint...



This rose has been known to grab lawn chairs, wayward children and husbands mowing the lawn...it was in desperate need of taming! 


It took as long to work on the rose bed as it did to do the other three back flower beds.  I had to stop and bake cookies...because some days one just needs to bake cookies. 

 There were also other moments of good, yummy, healthy breakfasts and lunches, too!
 

...and moments to savor Nature's lovely jewelry with a cup of morning coffee.


It took 3 days, but it was finally tamed and trellised.  It doesn't look like much now, but I am hoping by next year it will be all it was meant to be! 


With warmer weather there is more hooping on the deck - a Lemon Swirl!


 In between the gardening and taming, there was a special day to celebrate with my beautiful mom.


The garden is definitely showing signs of life now!

(Spaghetti Squash sprouts!)

(onions, garlic, celery and more, and some beans I wanted to try)

I am working to finish 7 sturdy 8ft x 4ft trellises to hold vining squashes and pumpkins and indeterminate tomatoes.  Some days my hands feel like they are going to fall off... 


But it is soooo worth it!  Every day I get up and dash outside to look at what is growing and how much bigger things are from the day before.  My husband says I am having way too much fun (is that even possible??)  I actually get tummy-tickles thinking about it all growing and producing and being able to share it with my family and friends!


I guess gardening is a kind of therapy for me (I won't say cheap because it is definitely not cheap getting a garden going).  Please note the use of my overflowing collection of wine corks as plant markers. =)

While working outside I often listen to music - I'm currently remembering how much I love Ingrid Michaelson - especially her earlier work.  She is such a poet!



And now Spring's Story is on the brink of passing over into Summer's Story!

Do you garden?  What is your favorite part of gardening?

Joyfully,
Donna

2 comments:

  1. I love all your pictures!! And I love visiting your blog. It's so comforting to see the things that made it home, even though so much has changed. It has blossomed, and I can see the love that contributes to that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna what a beautiful post! I could not help but notice how beautiful your dollhouse is, I love the colours you painted it! And your lemon yellow dress is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!