For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Garden Explosion and Fairy Houses

(Spaghetti Squash vines)

The heat of summer (and the humidity) have arrived!  It feels pretty gross out there even early in the morning.  The good thing about it is that the garden LOVES it and thrives in it.


The garden exploded pretty much over night!


Baby tomatoes pop out of tiny yellow flowers...


And lots of baby squash and zucchini are being born!





Cucumbers are beginning to flower (can you see the baby cuc in the photo?) and there are even tiny flowers on the pumpkins:


I planted Sugar Pie and Baby Boo pumpkins this year.

I love to go out and pick arugula and lettuce, kale (what the caterpillars have left for me, which isn't much) and red and white radishes, baby spinach and spring mix for our dinner salads.  There is something special about eating it fresh out of the garden, planted from tiny seeds and then placed on our table.

Something magical.

While I was nosing around the flower beds, I found this under the rhododendrons:


A tiny fairy house!

Moss-covered and with a tiny bark door and stone stoop...


The most adorable chimney and pine cone shingles! 


Decorated with tiny bird feathers, acorns and berries!

I wondered if this is where the tiny white fairies were living...

When I came inside later, I found a rather large spider in my hair.  It freaked me out a little as I was standing at the sink rinsing some greens and it just floated down from my hair and into the sink on a filigree thread.  I picked it up on a paper towel and took it back outside where it belonged, but I felt a wee bit itchy the rest of the day...

I also found this:


Sadly, something got to the nest in the lilac bush.  The parents are gone and so are the little eggs.  I know that is nature, but I always feel sad for the birds when this happens.

I've been joyfully working on tiny houses:


And making tiny furniture for the houses:


A bed made out of bent wire...

and teeny-tiny bed spreads and tablecloths:


They fit perfectly into the teeny-tiny upstairs of the tiny house:


I also made a wee fireplace and the tiniest logs you have ever seen!  I will finish the fireplace and chimney today and begin working on itty-bitty pieces of furniture for the downstairs.  The original house looked like this (it is the house at the top of the photo):
I cut open the back of it, and created a second story for the bedroom and added a porch roof and chimney.  When I am completely finished, I will post more pictures.

I love summer!  I love the garden and sitting on the porch at night under twinkly lights with music playing softly, and the fountain burbling in the background, sipping chilled wine and laughing with my love.  We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary yesterday.  He sent me 25 lovely red roses. xo

How are you spending your hot summer days?

Joyfully,

Donna

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving summer too! The green is so shocking in contrast with the white I saw all winter. What a sweet fairy house, a random find eh? ;) I am loving the work your doing on your houses. That tiny wire bed is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely post and I love your little houses. I like tiny things. I just discovered you and I will be back to see more. Please visit me. momentsinaneye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!