For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Monday, June 16, 2014

My Mini Story (and other news)

When I was very young, about 3 or 4 years old, my parents gave me a dollhouse.  It was a "modern" dollhouse - metal and plastic, 2-stories, and a patio.  I think the furniture was mainly yellow and white and all plastic.  Similar to this one:

Found at Wittlebittytreasures on Etsy, along with the furniture for the house.

I loved it!

Later my parents also gave me this same Cinderella pop-up book and I developed a great infatuation of pop-up books - to this day if I find pretty ones, I will buy them.  I love to sit and look through them slowly.

Found on Etsy here

I used to lay on the floor and look into the little windows of the house or into the castle and try to imagine myself tiny enough to go inside and explore.

It was the beginning of my love affair with tiny things.

As I got older, I began to make houses out of shoe boxes for my Fluffball animals (known officially as pompom animals and quite popular in the 1970s).  I had kitties, bunnies, a gorilla, alligator and more.  I gave the alligator to my cousin when we were kids (or maybe he bought it when he came to visit - I can't remember), and my Aunt puts it on her Christmas tree every year (she took this photo of it for me):

(I wish I still had mine - or at least photographs of them. They and my Sunshine Family somehow got left behind when we left Italy.  Very sad.)

I would cut out windows and doors in the shoe boxes and make curtains from bits of fabric from my mom's sewing stash.  I would make little beds and pillows which I stuffed with tissues!  With markers I would draw in details like rugs and doorknobs.  And with the leftover bits of cardboard from the windows I would create furniture: beds, couches, tables and chairs and even tvs!

My father smoked pipes back in those days and we always had pipe cleaners on hand - not the cheap craft pipe cleaners one can purchase at the craft store - these were soft, creamy cotton pipe cleaners.  I would make what I called "Pipe cleaner People" - entire villages of them!  Parents and children (I cut the pipe cleaners in half for the children), horses for them to ride, dogs and cats, fences and more!

I loved all things Fisher Price!  The house, schoolhouse, castle, safari set - I played for hours and hours with these.  And, of course, my beloved Sunshine Family and the grandparents and all the accessories that went along with them (the house, the van with the "piggy back shack", Surrey Cycle, Nursery) and I made additional accessories for ALL of those things:


I also loved to make little fairy houses in the woods and fields where I played using whatever I could find on hand: bark, twigs, leaves, berries and nuts.  I would put them among the roots of trees or in a small clearing in tall grass.  

I wonder if they were ever found and inhabited by fairies?

My love of tiny things did not stop at toys - I had a love of tiny creatures, too.  Fish (I raised rainbow guppies), birds - I had a sweet green parakeet named Joey who, sadly, flew out an open door and went off to fly with the Italian sparrows.  The entire neighborhood came out to try to help me catch him, but alas, he decided the gypsy life was for him and he left me with a broken heart.  

I still have fish and I love to watch and feed the birds in our yard.

However, my greatest love was (and still is) MICE!  I have had many mice in my life over the years - some domestic, some wild.  I think if I had a familiar, it would be a mouse.


I still love tiny things and most of my creations are miniatures.  


All of my needlefelted creations.  

And I still love dollhouses of all sizes:


I could sit and make these all day long...and often do!  I cut out the backs of them so I can decorate the inside of them.

I have also purchased neat little "puzzle" houses to put together and decorate:


I love to decorate the inside of them with a combination of bought items, modified items and items I make myself.

My husband purchased me a dollhouse kit that I have yet to put together - it is called The Storybook Cottage and even came with all the furniture!


I often try to imagine what the tiny occupants of these tiny houses would be like and what kind of lives they would live:



...and my most favorite: mice (of course)!


I love to imagine what kind of life is taking place in the pathways among the grass (did you know there are pathways?  Yes!  Look the next time you are outside.  Get down on the ground and part the blades of grass and you will see tiny pathways for tiny creatures!)  As well as what kind of life takes place high in the trees where we can't see.  What about in the herb bed?  Under the hydrangea? Among the roses?

I tell myself all kinds of delightful stories about the denizens of those places.  And I often wish I could be tiny and go to those places as well.

I always loved to find or make hiding places inside and outside.  Under the stairs, in a closet behind everything, hanging sheets from my canopy bed, under bushes (they are mostly hollow inside, you know, and make the perfect cozy spot for reading or eating apples and daydreaming).  In Italy, we had balconies and the ones on the ground floor would often overlook small gardens around our villa.  They were the perfect height for a short person like me to walk under and make a secret, cozy hideaway behind the bushes and giant elephant ears and flowers.

Some of my favorite books are about tiny creatures or small people: 

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings (wouldn't you just LOVE to live in Bilbo's house under the hill?!?!)
The Borrowers
The Littles
Watership Down
Brambly Hedge
Winnie the Pooh
Bianca and Bernard (from The Rescuers)
Frog and Toad
and many more!

I have jars that hold hummingbird nests and tiny acorns and miniature feathers and seashells so tiny that they look almost like grains of sand!

Last week my son's girlfriend took me outside to show me the tiny white "fairies" flying about the yard - they were the tiniest butterflies I've ever seen - no longer than my pinky nail and only 1/2 as wide.  Their wings looked like feathers and they had a purple and green iridescence about their upper bodies.  They were beautiful and I had never seen them before!  I was utterly enchanted.

Do you have any idea what they could have been?  

I know...fairies, of course!

So, I have a deep and crazy love (some might call it an obsession) of all things tiny!  How about you? What are your crazy-love obsessions?

Also, I wanted to share that Vanessa from A Fanciful Twist is hosting her annual Mad Hatter's Tea Party in July:

I can't wait!  I am already working on my tea party plans ~ I hope I will see you there!

Joyfully,

Donna

1 comment:

  1. This post made me so happy! I love to see all your houses you have built! My doll house is currently in the process of being decorated, and is taking on quite the elfin theme with moss and flowers! You make me want to buy a few more, (smaller, the first dollhouse was so complex!) little puzzle kits from ebay and make more themed houses. A Halloweeny themed haunted one is calling to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!