For the Everyday Ordinary...

"Normal Day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so. One day I shall dig my nails into the earth, or bury my face in the pillow, or stretch myself taut, or raise my hands to the sky and want, more than all in the world, for your return." ~ Mary Jean Iron

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thin-Armor Days

Sorrow-Full...full of sorrow.

I am having one of those days.  They slip in sometimes.  Lately more often than I like.  Maybe it is winter...
too many snowy days...

cold temperatures...

not enough sunshine...

too many dark and quiet corners of my house that used to be filled with laughter and chaos and joyful noise...

They are often the harbinger of questionable choices, crying jags, depression - not the things I typically share here on Joyfully Donna.

These are the days my armor feels thin.  

I try to stay focused on the positive and the joyful...

but sometimes, the sorrow goes too deep and just can't be filled or touched - no matter how many kitties come to snuggle...

...or how many pots of soup I fix myself...

I fall into the arms of my faith and pray.

Remember when we were kids and we were boy-crazy?

Well, maybe you were never boy-crazy, but I sure was.

I was always falling in love with some boy who would not love me back, so I was always nursing a broken heart.  I'd run to my dad and he would put his arms around me and pat me on the back and say things like "you will find someone so much better" and "there are other fish in this big blue sea".

And while it did not make the hurt and sorrow go away, there was comfort in knowing he was there, patting me on the back and being on my side.

So, while my sorrow doesn't leave me, there is comfort in knowing Christ is with me and Mary knows my hurts.  I am not alone in this.

So I try to create something from it and gather my tools...

my supplies...


...my notes and ideas...

and get to work, trying to create something positive from it all.

But really, all I want to do is go take a nap because my head hurts from crying and there are wads of tissues everywhere.  I really just want to curl up in blankets, build a pillow fortress, and go someplace I can't be found like deep inside the pages of a really good book or into a dream.

Do you ever have those thin-armor, sorrow-full days?  What do you do to feel better and get through them?

Joyfully (or not-so-much-today), Donna

2 comments:

  1. I think we all feel that way, Donna ... from time to time.
    Know that you have friends that love you! Although I feel like I never see you anymore :-(
    Big BIG hugs to you and give those beautiful furbabies kisses on this snowy day.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those days well dear Donna. I am sorry you are having one. The only thing I want to do on those days is sit in front of the computer with hours of Netflix ahead of me and eating whatever I want to. I hope you get out of the funk soon. You are too beautiful of a spirit to be weighed down!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by ~ Let's chat!